Guide to Engineering Degree Online Programs
Engineering is perhaps one of the broadest terms used to describe a degree as it includes a wide range of subjects that can vary greatly. However, we have made it simple for you by listing online and campus programs for degrees like software engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing engineering, mechanical engineering, and many more. Use the links provided to get free information from each school.
|Master of Civil Engineering||Norwich University – Norwich University prides itself on its commitment to excellence in providing education that follows contemporary techniques and standards. The industry-driven curriculum allows students to successfully fill high-demand positions upon graduation. Students can take online course in order to obtain a Masters of Civil Engineering degree.|
|MBA – Engineering Management||Northcentral University – Northcentral University is a provider of several online, accredited degree and diploma programs that focus on bringing flexibility and convenience to students. These programs can be completed from home, school, or even on-the-go. The engineering degree available from NU allows students to fill management positions in the engineering and technology fields.|
Online Engineering Degree is an online resource devoted to explaining to students their options as well as the pitfalls and benefits associated with pursuing an online engineering degree. From explaining what types of online engineering degrees exist, what engineers with those degrees actually do and earn, to what colleges and universities these degrees.
What are the types of engineering degrees?
Given the detailed nature of issues that Engineers face, several majors in engineering are available that specialize in one field. Each position requires a different set of skills and knowledge to tackle situations that arise in an industry, like space exploration, mechanical manufacturing, or lab research. Some of the most popular specializations are listed but low, but this is just the tip of the iceberg:
- Biochemical Engineering Degrees
- Civil Engineering Degrees
- Computer Engineering Degrees
- Electrical Engineering Degrees
- Electronics Engineering Degrees
- Engineering Management Degrees
- Engineering Technology Degrees
- Fire & Safety Engineering Degrees
- Information Systems Engineering Degrees
- Information Technology Engineering Degrees
- Manufacturing Engineering Degrees
- Mechanical Engineering Degrees
- Software Engineering Degrees
- Systems Engineering Degrees
Online engineering degree rankings?
Like most online degrees, ranking online engineering degrees is completely arbitrary. Online colleges and university programs are never ranked by an official source to see which turns out a larger percentage of students working in their field of study after graduating.
What you must focus on when seeking out an online engineering degree is to make sure the school you’re attending is accredited by a regional or national accreditation organization. This will put your degree on par with those obtained by students at a traditional college or university, since the online school will have had to abide by the same regulations as brick-and-mortar schools.
Transferring online engineering degree credits
Transferring online engineering degree credits is possible in the early stages of obtaining your degree. As you get into the third and fourth year of an engineering degree, it is likely the school has a specific curriculum and it may be difficult to transfer schools at that point. This is especially true of specialized engineering departments. It is best to speak with an academic advisor who can help guide you. The good thing about an online degree of any sort is it allows you to continue to study regardless of where you are.
Remember in order for credits to be transferrable between schools, the two schools will have to be accredited by the same regional or national organization. This is something to take into account when choosing your online engineering degree program.
What sorts of careers are common for students with this degree?
- Civil Engineer – A civil engineer may be employed by a construction firm creating commercial or residential real estate. They can also have government jobs or contract jobs with retailers to oversee new properties. Civil engineers can specialize in structures for areas where there are earthquakes, hurricanes or other natural disasters to ensure the buildings erected can withhold the conditions.
- Mechanical Engineer – Mechanical engineers are set to take off thanks to the rapid speed in which technology is moving. Mechanical engineers are being used for various robotics, both by the government and private research companies. Mechanical engineers are often referred to as the jack-of-all-trades in the field of engineering because of their ability to easily transition job responsibilities and wear many hats.
- Aerospace Engineer – Aerospace engineers are employed by NASA and aircraft manufacturers, but also private companies conducting research in space or under water. Oil companies frequently employ aerospace engineers to study how to improve underwater activity. Aerospace engineers are also employed by the government and military to study combat aircraft and missiles.
What are the average salaries of a person with an online engineering degree?
- Civil Engineer – Civil engineer salaries vary greatly depending on the employer. A civil engineer can serve as a consultant on a project after many years on the job and earn up to $76,000, while a civil engineer in his or her early stages of their career can expect to make anywhere from $49,000-$51,000 should they be employed by the government or a transportation agency.
- Mechanical Engineer – Mechanical engineers usually start their career making $52,000. Mechanical engineers with a masters can earn up to $77,000.
- Aerospace Engineer – Beginning aerospace engineers usually make between $55,000-$60,000 per year while more experienced aerospace engineers can earn up to $72,000. Those with a masters can earn over $100,000.